Previously on The Newsroom: I’ll Try to Fix You
- Elliot is in Egypt covering Mubarak’s announcement that he won’t step down as acting President. He ends up getting beaten during the riots because Don encourages him to head out to get a story.
- Neal finds an underground informant in Egypt who goes by the name of “Amen” to help them gather information on the scene.
- Maggie buys gifts for Jim to give to Lisa for Valentine’s Day so Lisa doesn’t ruin the mood for Maggie and Don.
- Charlie informs Mac and Will that Wade is running for political office and his frequent appearances on the show may cause some ethical problems.
- Sloan tutors Mac about the economy before she has to speak on a panel about the topic in a few days.
- Will pays Nina $50,000 not to report the story about Wade and Mac in the tabloids. He also has a few choice words for her (refer to quote below image).
“Come after me all you want. Come after me everyday. Look through my garbage. Invent things out of thin air because that’s what you’re paid for. But you touch my staff and you are walking into a world of hurt. I have an hour of prime time every night that I will rededicate my life to ruining yours.” -Will (to Nina)
“In this order: Leave. Lose the election. Go to Hell.” Well it seems that all my plans are starting to take shape. Yeah, Mac should have told Wade that she and Will use to be an item but Wade going behind her back and using her job to gain exposure for his career was too far. I wasn’t sure how it was going to happen but it was inevitable these two (Will and Mac) were going to gravitate back towards one another before too long…or maybe it’s just a St. Valentine’s Day miracle?
Neal’s Newsroom? Possible show name? I mean, this kid has eyes/fingers on everything! Maybe it’s because he is practically attached to a computer at all times but he can find anything. he found and befriended “Amen” before Will and Mac finished explaining the situation in Egypt. I understand that, at times, he may go too far into the realm of internet conspiracy theorists but I’d take that chance with him any day.
Friendship Exchange: It didn’t occur to me that Sloan was the residential robot–emotionally speaking–of the crew until this eppy. And I definitely didn’t see her character linking up with Mac, although I did enjoy their interactions. A slew of fast-paced, fact-based witty remarks makes me swoon like no other. Mac and Sloan really don’t have any other real friends in the newsroom so it makes since that they find comfort in each other. I just hope Sloan is human enough not to sleep with Will and ruin two potentially epic relationships.
“I’ll begin by saying that Will cries when he watches the movie Rudy.” -Mac
“No, I don’t.” -Will
“Cries like an onion.” -Mac
“Onions make you cry, they don’t themselves experience emotion.” Will
“I just need you to teach me a few things so that it looks like I know something. How long did it take you to know what you know?” -Mac
“College. Grad school. Doctorate. Post-Doctorate. Practical experience. 15 years. When’s the panel? -Sloan
“Tuesday morning.” -Mac
“How about I give you a few things to write on your hand?” -Sloan
“You’re gonna be like St. Valentine himself. You’re g–” -Maggie
“St. Valentine actually–” -Jim
“Focus, nerd!” -Maggie
On the next episode of The Newsroom: Bullies
Will is a (not so) recovering TV and movie addict and TVDM only helps in feeding his vices. TVDM is the best outlet for him to spread his disease–without the use of airborne pathogens...
Previously on The Newsroom: We Just Decided To
- Will is worried about the show ratings after his incident at Northwestern.
- Maggie ruins a huge potential interview hours before the news goes live.
- Mackenzie employs a new strategy that the newsroom is to abide by.
- Will tries to “carry” a makeshift interview and then attempts to revise a Republican’s quote to keep his ratings up in that demographic.
- Mackenzie urges Will to follow suit with her plans and to become the “leader” she knows he can be.
“Will’s not an ass” A noble rally cry from a woman that isn’t afraid of the truth. Thanks to newly recruited Sloan (Olivia Munn) Mackenzie is aware that people think Will’s infidelity was the demise of their relationship when it was the other way around. After a good old fashioned blow-up in front of all the newsroom employees and an inadvertently public email, I think it’s safe to assume that the road to rekindling isn’t going to end here. This is only the beginning of “Willkenzie”! (Patent Pending)
Ratings Whore: I guess, in a distant Utopian galaxy it would be commonplace to think that accurately processing and delivering the news would drive ratings. But this is America, dammit! Land of bias and perspective. I understand Charlie sticking up for Will and his ability to remain the “good guy” when it comes to network politics but I don’t understand Will’s approach. Going out of the way to try and translate another, all too common, Sarah Palin gaffe and make yourself sound foolish in the long run. And for what? To make sure that you don’t upset the Republican apple cart for one day? If anything, Will should have left it out of the broadcast in general. You can’t follow up that train wreck of an interview with another catastrophe. From this point forward listen to Mackenzie when she repeatedly screams “Dump it!”.
Maggie, the Cowardly Co-Ed (cont.): Really, Maggie?! Who stays under the bed?! You have to get up during the sexing and slap someone on the a$$! At least? But anyway, at this point I’m not afraid to admit that Maggie is my favorite member of ACN. She is smart, witty, and opinionated but she has been thrown into a completely pressurized situation and is obviously overwhelmed. I’m usually indifferent when it comes to the “underdog” story but I’m all out rooting for Maggie in this one. As long as she gets free of Don before Jim grows weary from his failed efforts.
“Be the leader, Will. Be the moral leader of this show. Be the integrity.” -Mackenzie
“Fox hired someone with three “Mohammeds” in his name?!” -Will
Next time on The Newsroom: The 112th Congress
Will is a (not so) recovering TV and movie addict and TVDM only helps in feeding his vices. TVDM is the best outlet for him to spread his disease -without the use of airborne pathogens...