You can probably finish the lyric “In west Philadelphia born and raised” and if you can’t (for shame!), you know at least 20 people that can. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song is one of the most memorable themes…ever.
The shows that get it right have themes that span generations and achieve pop culture relevance even to those who have never seen the show. For me, that would be The Love Boat…I can sing the whole song but I’ve never once seen a full episode.
Recently George, author of The Movie Blog8, shared with us his top ten favorite TV theme songs. If you know the words, sing-a-long!
My name is George, I’m a 15-year-old blog artist (is that what they’re calling them now?), and here are my: Top 10 TV Opening Themes
10. 30 Rock – Jazzy, upbeat, really fun to hum along with
9. The Jeffersons – I especially enjoy the way George Jefferson walks. “Well we’re movin’ on up.”
8. Keeping Up Appearances – When most people find a caterpillar in a bouquet (see what I did there?) of flowers, they either squeal or ruthlessly squash it. Hyacinth makes sure no one saw it.
7. The Simpsons – It’s different each time, but it’s always the same.
6. Cheers – I used to know how to play this on the piano. It really is a lovely tune.
5. SportsCenter – Yes, that’s right, SportsCenter. It’s iconic.
4. All in the Family – I can’t imagine having to fake that voice for so long. “Songs that made the hit parade!”
3. Beverly Hillbillies – It’s efficient! It tells their entire story in only a few seconds! “Oil, that is.”
2. M*A*S*H – The song’s title is “Suicide is Painless.”
1. Golden Girls – For this one, I think I’ll just share the lyrics:
“Thank you for being a friend,
Traveled down the road and back again,
Your heart is true, you’re a pal and a confidant.
And if you threw a party,
And invited everyone you ever knew,
You would see the biggest gift would be from me,
And the card attached would say ‘thank you for being a friend.”
George can be found discussing Pulp Fiction, Citizen Kane and tons of other movies over at The MovieBlog8.
[…] please read: top ten tv opening themes, a guest post I wrote on the wonderful pop culture blog […]