- Lucy is upset with Van Alden because she hasn’t received her payment for carrying out the pregnancy. It doesn’t seem as though he has any intentions on paying her either.
- At work, his desk has been taken over by federal prosecutor Esther Randolph.
- Van Alden returns home to see that Lucy has left their child with a neighbor so she could get some milk. Van Alden finds the play Lucy wanted to audition for (The Dangerous Maid) pinned to a dirty diaper on the phonograph.
- Van Alden is alone at home trying to figure out a name for his daughter. He seems to settle on “Abigail”.
- Van Alden gives Randolph all the information he has stored against Nucky. He also says he will testify against Nucky. Randolph says they will get his “domestic situation settled out”.
- Margaret arrives in Brooklyn to meet with her family from Ireland. Three younger sisters (Beth, Ailish, Nuala) and one older brother (Eamonn).
- During dinner, Eamonn is curious how Margaret can afford to come to New York and leave her children behind. Margaret says she can help her siblings out but Eamonn insists they don’t need it.
- Eamonn tells Margaret that their mother is dead.
- Margaret tells him that she had a miscarriage on her way to America. She said she was doing what was best for her. She gives Eamonn money to make up what she stole from their mother to make it to America.
- Ailish seems to know about Nucky but her sisters tell Margaret she is just talking about books that she has read. Margaret offers to send her books as she is leaving for Atlantic City. Ailish seems to love the idea.
- Lucy returns to New York with a book for Ailish. Margaret says they should write each other and she invites her to come to Atlantic City over the summer.
- Margaret is upset with Eamonn that he never stood up for her when she needed him in Ireland. He tells her to go back to where she came from “because no one here knows you.”
- When Margaret arrives home she is met by Slater. He tells her Katie has taken the children to the beach. So asks why he isn’t with Nucky. He asks if she ever “feels off” in this country. He asks if he were ever to vanish who would care. She tells him she should be on the beach with Katie. Slater says he will do whatever she pleases. She tells him to bring her bag to her room. The episode ends with the two sharing an intense sexual encounter.
- Nucky and his lawyer are familiarizing themselves with background information on his new prosecutor until Lucy arrives asking for money.
- Van Alden comes to Nucky’s office while Lucy is there. Nucky proposes that Van Alden help him with Esther Raandolph and he will help with the newborn.
- Owen Slater meets a man named Del Grogan at a bar. They discuss being “free and clear” in America. Slater follows the man to the restroom where a fight breaks out. Slater eventually strangles the man to death. Slater seems to have been trying to find this man for some time.
- Jimmy meets with Capone, Lansky, Eli, Doyle, and Lucky in Atlantic City about getting Nucky out of power.
- Eli interrupts Jimmy;s scheme by saying they should just kill Nucky. Jimmy is clearly troubled by the idea but he allows it.
- Jimmy discusses the planned assassination on Nucky with Gillian. He seems to be asking for a reason to stop it but she tells him that it was done as soon as he made the order.
- At Babette’s, Nucky and the crowd are listening to Jack Dempsey give a speech when Jimmy walks up to Nucky. Jimmy tells him “It doesn’t make a difference if you’re right or wrong, you just have to make a decision.” Jimmy walks away and another comes up and shoots Nucky. A federal agent then shoots the hitman. As Jimmy is leaving he overhears that Nucky is still alive. He was shot in the hand.