[Editor’s Note: If Jericho fans can unite themselves long enough to save their show with a few thousand peanuts, surely we can take the time to sign the Save Community petition for ours. And yes, this is more important to us than the economy or occupying anything…you fight for your injustices and we’ll fight for ours.– Nicole + Will]
I’d like to start by saying that I clearly have no idea why Community is on the verge of whatever it is on the verge of with the show’s future but NBC has to be beyond idiotic if there is no Community on it’s roster for seasons to come. That being said, at this point I think I would rather see Abed’s behind-the-scenes versions of Community more so than the actual episodes. I will admit that I was saddened that Pierce wasn’t more involved with episode because he is my mentor on all things politically incorrect but the episode made up for this monumental mistake by making me giggle, so all is forgiven. My favorite moments:
- That dunk on a 6′ basketball rim during the original commercial made me remember, and cherish, my playskool days.
- Dean Pelton’s over-exposure of his left nipple was nothing less than sultry with some danger sprinkled in. I wouldn’t mind if he did “segregate the school” after that.
- Jeff’s identity crisis was genius. I actually thought he was the dean when he walked to his trailer…
- Annie’s obsession with the dean’s “genius” was cute. We all know she knows what Stockholm Syndrome is…don’t we?
- Watching Dean Pelton’s videotaped breakdown was awkward and awesome…especially due to the fact that he was stark naked.
- I don’t know if this Britta/Troy relationship is going to blossom or if they just love to hug each other so much after being berated by Dean Pelton for two weeks.
A lot was riding on this episode. Not like NBC grasps what’s funny anymore (*cough* Whitney *cough*), but the fans really needed this episode to be funny. So we could condescendingly shout from the rafters, “Yes, this is why I watch Community and you’re an idiot if you don’t,” and I have to say this redux left me feeling assured in my love for this show. Any mock documentary with Abed at the helm was bound to be hilarious, even with the hint of cancellation in the forefront of our minds. My favorite moments in order of appearance:
- The old Greendale commercial was reminiscent of the Buddy Bands commercial…minus the rad dance moves.
- Abed called Pierce a curmudgeon (a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man). Yep, that sounds about right.
- Troy and Britta’s sexual tension.
- Jeff as Dean Pelton. Not only does Joel McHale really make bald work for him, but his ‘deanisms’ were amazing.
- Saw the Luis Guzmán statue and thought it couldn’t get any better. Then came the phone call and I was happy enough, but an actual appearance?! A dream come true.
- The Dean, in a grey hoodie unzipped ever so slightly to the bellybutton and camo pants, looked…dare I say, manly?
- “Fight the power, fight it with your hugs!” Ah, to be the Britta in that semi-sensual Britta/Troy embrace.
- Britta proclaiming herself as a “licensed psychology major” after a few credit hours as a psych major is funny for the same reason all stereotypes are funny…because they’re true.
- “Some flies are too awesome for the wall.”