I just noticed that American Horror Story doesn’t do a ‘previously on’ at the start of each episode, which means you can recall the season’s events as you remember them and not how the writers/producers/etc. want you to. Very refreshing. Smoldering Children focused on two very different love stories: Constance and Larry, and Violet and Tate. Questions were answered, hearts were broken and theories were completely shattered, so overall, it was the perfect episode to lead into the end of the season.
- 1994 was a big year for Larry, Addie, Tate and Constance:
- Tate’s father ran away when he was six and Constance wanted people to think that Hugo fled town with his mistress, which makes Hugo Tate’s dad….right?
- Constance lost the house and got it back by living with Larry.
- Larry’s family really did burn themselves alive. He’s innocent, not of adultery and cruelty, but he wasn’t lying when he said he was lying about killing them. Make sense?
- Tate is indeed Constance’s “golden boy”, so now we definitely know the fourth child is also deformed/disfigured.
- Tate did some drugs and dealt with some mommy issues by setting Larry on fire and heading off to school to kill his classmates. D.A.R.E. and Freud would have a field day with that one.
- Ben believes Vivien was raped. Wait….since when?! Last week he was convinced she had an affair. He crossed his one and only suspect off the list and that’s it?
- Detective Granger was played by Charles S. Dutton. I haven’t looked at him the same since his role in Gothika.
- “The colored section? What on Earth would he be doing there?” Oh Constance.
- Larry provides Constance with human contact. Why? Because I was wrong and Larry is alive.
- “I never loved you. I endured you for the sake of my family. That is all.” Another zinger from Constance, but this may have been the moment she screwed herself.
- “Once I discovered that he had cheated, Hugo meant no more to me than dog shit.” Seriously Constance? You turned him into dog food? Constance as the scorned lover who shoots her husband and his mistress makes sense. Constance as the crazy killer who grinds body parts into mush….doesn’t.
- Violet’s IQ is “north of 150”. Ben may have just been bragging to make sure he got her into the school, but I believe she’s that smart.
- Smoldering children…and wife. Larry’s daughters have started playing with Travis. Larry can see all of this, as well as his wife, because he’s ‘ready’ and ‘on the cusp’. Does this mean Larry is about to die? Or is he ‘on the cusp’ of paying penance for what he did?
- Ben learns that Tate is Rubber Man. He probably won’t remember or he’ll explain what happened with logic, like he does everything else.
- “Hi, I’m Tate. I’m dead. Want to hook up?” I saw a post on Reddit about two weeks ago that speculated Violet was dead. I didn’t agree with the theory, but just like with Larry, I was wrong. Violet got Malcolm Crowe’d. Tate wanted her to commit suicide on her own terms so that she wouldn’t feel sad about her initial (successful) attempt. She came to terms with her death rather quickly, but she didn’t look elated when Tate said they’d be together forever. Also, how is this going to work when Ben and Vivien find out?
- Poor Larry. He admitted to a crime he didn’t commit for a woman that doesn’t love him. However, that look in his eyes when Constance got up to leave makes me think it’ll be “poor Constance” by the end of the season.
Next Week: Birth
A lot of
people ghosts want those twins. My theory? Vivien dies and gets to keep both of them. Ben finds out Violet is dead after he loses his wife, so he kills himself.