It makes sense that the gang is emotionally stunted, their teen years had a major influence and they went to school with a few assholes. In high school, Dennis was a god, Dee was ‘The Aluminum Monster’, Charlie was a dirt grub and Mac was a drug dealer/Ronald McDonald. Things have changed for them…slightly: Dennis is less god-like, Dee’s back is fully recovered, Charlie is less Dirty and Mac enjoys McDonald’s.
Here are my favorite things about watching the gang spend the evening preoccupied with images of who they were while Frank desperately tried to hang out with them.
- Not Dee misunderstanding what ‘baby got back’ means, but the look on Dennis’ face when he explained it to her.
- The gang pre-gaming for the reunion. However, and I don’t care if they do own a bar, smashing beers is a waste and disrespectful.
- Dee’s whole vibe and pungent air of desperation reminded me of Miri.
- The return of Denni’s ex-wife, Maureen, and Frank’s disgust with her dead tooth. This coming from the same man who can stand the stench of dirty, boiled denim and the sewers.
- The return of the waitress. Although she didn’t interact with Charlie and seemed to forget that she’s been off the wagon since the gang went to the Jersey Shore.
- The return to Cricket. Poor, poor Cricket. I thought he was back to his lifestyle pre-Sweet Dee, but alas, he wasn’t and left the reunion with ringworm and the goods he’d stolen.
- Dennis is crazy. His little exchange with Tim confirmed that for me.
- The Kings of Leon cameo.
- Charlie’s disgusting underwear.
- “To be continued”….maybe this means we’ll see Plan B in action.
Reunions – from what I hear – are usually looked at two ways: You can’t wait to show your former classmates how thin and successful you’ve become since high school or you dread to show them that you are still fat and irrelevant. Of course it’s never that cut and dry with gang from Paddy’s though. My favorite parts from the eppy:
- I want to “smash ’em up” so bad right now. I think I’d finish my beer first though…
- Dee’s back is sharp. There were bones EVERYWHERE!!!
- I always figured “Mac” was a nickname but I think I’m calling him Ronald McDonald from this point on. Or at least until he loses weight.
- I love making fun of how dirty Charlie is but when people outside of the gang do it I get mad. But honestly, those underwear were disgusting!
- KINGS OF LEON!!! (minus Matthew). I hope they settle their band/family issues because seeing them gives me bittersweet tinglies.
- The Waitress returned but she didn’t have any screen time berating Charlie. What a waste!
- I didn’t believe Rickety Cricket for a second! The Catholic church has a high standard for their priests…
- Who mixes ammonia and bleach? Everyone’s favorite Wild Card, that’s who!
- I don’t know what Dennis did that caused his fall from grace but they better explain in Part 2.
“See ya later Dirt Grub and Ronnie the Rat. Hope ya suck each other’s rotten peckers until you get mouth cancer.” -Dee
“Don’t play coy with me you little bitch!” -Dennis