Previously on Sons of Anarchy: Sovereignty
Charming, the ironically named hometown of SAMCRO, already has it in for new President Jax Teller and his gang of rebel vigilantes. Jax and his fellow bikers only have eight hours before they are officially pronounced fugitives of the law, local law enforcement is turning to Opie in an attempt to end the Motorcycle gang’s exploit for good, and a series of home invasions leave residents of Charming wondering if it’s just merely gang retaliation, or something much more sinister.
While in hiding (at a “classy” brothel) Jax and Bobby receive a call regarding Tig. Upon arrival, Tig is still standing stunned and alone at the site where Damon Pope viciously murdered Tig’s daughter as part of his “eye for an eye” policy of revenge. Jax, Bobb, and Chibs attempt to clean up the murders while Tig, sitting away from his friends, cradles the charred remains of his daughter. This is one of the most heart wrenching moments in the series so far. Tig believes that Pope is going to murder his remaining daughter, and goes on a pursuit to Oakland to find her and warn her of Pope’s evil plan to destroy his family.
Meanwhile, Jax and Tara are dealing with the obstacles of becoming the new king and queen of the Motorcycle Club. Jax feels it is his duty to look out for his member’s family, while Tara believes the true threat is within the boundaries of their own family. Jax is also concerned with the situation of becoming fugitives. As they only have eight hours before they are pronounced fugitives, Jax believes that the Niner’s, Damon Pope, and the local police force are trying to flush them out of hiding. In season four, it is revealed that incarcerated SOA member, Otto, has become a rat in an act of revenge, and consequently, a RICO case has been filed against SAMCRO. This case is the ultimate threat to the livelihood of SAMCRO members and the gang itself, and Jax must find a way to prove that the case was made on bogus charges.
The episode concludes with the AWOL members of SAMCRO turning themselves in. As they are being arrested, Opie makes his appearance, punches a cop in the face, and is arrested along with Jax, Chibs, and Tig. A completely legitimate way to demonstrate comradeship against the earlier pursuits of law enforcement to turn Opie into a rat.
- In the most endearing moment of the episode, Jax and Tara finally decide it’s time to get married. Viewers have been waiting since season one for something official to finally happen between those two love birds. Jax and Tara exchange vows within the lobby of the brothel, in front of a very perturbed judge. Although the setting was less than fairytale, the love between the two can be felt through the screen, and I cried a little.
- After the tragic murder of Tig’s daughter at the hands of the evil Damon Pope, viewers wonder what this could mean for Tig. Is he going to try to seek revenge for himself, or revenge for the club?
- Clay continues his typical journey of lies and deceit by pursuing Opie at his home. Opie is still (understandably) angry at Clay about the situation regarding his deceased father, Piney. Clay, being the amazingly predictable character that he is, spits the same lies at Opie that was said at the table. Clay claims “history escalated, it’s either kill or be killed.” A reluctant and vulnerable Opie, faintly believes Clay. Could this be because of Clay’s obvious physical ailments, or is it too hard to grasp that your team leader is a homicidal sociopath?
- However, Clay did offer some insight into his murder spree. Although we already know that it ensued because of the detrimental revelations that John Teller’s letter would have exposed, Clay actually provides Opie with some truth to the situation, by blaming history rather than just the individuals (John, Piney) themselves.
- Jax and Gemma’s lover, Nero, have become somewhat close. While on a ride along, Jax and Nero confide in each other on the struggles of having an ex wife who uses drugs during pregnancy, and the prospect of starting a new life clean of gang affiliations. This new formed relationship could serve either two purposes for Jax: Nero could represent a new father figure for Jax, one that Clay lacked OR Nero could become a new member of SAMCRO and a way to eliminate Clay altogether.
Jax: “Something is coming for our families.”
Jax: ” I want you to be my wife, I always have. Right now. In a brothel, wanted for murder.”
Tara: “So much for romance.”
Jax: “I’m a fairy tale man. Nothing says love like capital murder.”
Clay (to Opie): “You’re walking away from SAMCRO because of your hatred for me. That is a mistake.”
Jax: ” Is this you becoming me?”
Opie: “How did I do?”
Jax: “Not bad.”
When not obsessively catching up with current and ’90′s television shows, aliciawrites19 enjoys nerding out to her favorite books and learning survival skills from horror films.